Desktop Support Technician
The UITS Desktop Support Technician Beginner provides desktop computer support for UITS clients consisting of but not limited to end user technical support, desktop hardware support, Operating System, software support and documentation tasks as requested by clients and staff in UITS Desktop Support. This position operates under regular supervision.
Qualifications & Expectations:
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Windows
operating systems or Mac OS in a networking environment.
- Intermediate knowledge of personal computer
hardware. Previous hardware troubleshooting experience desired.
- Basic knowledge of standard software
applications, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access).
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate equally well, in a clear
and professional manner, with faculty and staff, clients, and Desktop Support
- Ability to remain professional in stressful
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Ability and willingness to search for answers to
technical issues using all available resources (Heat Knowledge Base, web FAQs,
- Abide by all UITS work rules/practices specifically outlined but not limited to the Student Employment Handbook and handbooks and/or rules outlined by your department.
- Work closely with Desktop Support staff to
provide efficient and cost effective desktop and network technologies to
support desktop and lab computers in the UWM networking environment.
- Assist in researching technical issues.
- Record time spent on service calls and details
of issues and resolutions.
- Provide 2nd level technical support in
faculty/staff offices as needed to ensure timely client service and appropriate
- Escalate technical support issues that cannot be
resolved to ensure timely client service and issue resolution.
- Responsible for ensuring the security and
confidentiality of customer records and information; protect against any
anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of such records;
and protect against unauthorized access to or use of such records or
information that could result in substantial harm or inconvenience to any
- Other duties as assigned.