Laboratory Safety Technician
This position will assist with the daily operations of the campus laboratory and occupational safety program. Specific responsibilities are to perform and support the fume hood testing, laboratory sign, and online training programs.
UWM is an AA/EEO Employer.
GOALS AND WORKER ACTIVITIES:
Laboratory Safety Activities (60%)
I. Use instrumentation to calculate the face velocity, “smoke” test for visual verification of capture dynamics, record condition of the fume hoods, and manage database of all findings
II. Update laboratory signage by training laboratory occupants to use online program while gathering information to portray hazards contained in their laboratories
III. Update training database and create training certificates.
IV. Assist with chemical databases
Occupational Safety Activities (35%)
I. Manage information in online training software program and generate reports
I. Collect information and perform duties associated with safety grant programs
II. Assist with annual fire and tornado drills.
Miscellaneous Activities (5%)
I. Perform miscellaneous duties to support the US&A mission
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of laboratory science and operations
2. Knowledge and ability to use computers, databases, and Microsoft Office programs, in particular MS Excel and MS Access
3. Ability to write clear and accurate technical reports
4. Ability to work independently and use good time management skills
5. Ability to lift/carry 50 pounds
This position requires a criminal record review at the finalist stage.
WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNTIONS
Work will be performed in laboratory environment and will include potential exposure to various chemical, biological, and radioactive materials. Work may involve heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds), and will involve holding instruments or hand tools at eye level for short periods of time, and standing/walking for long periods of time.
EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
· Thermal anemometer (for testing fume hood), computers, and laboratory carts
· Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including gloves, safety eye wear, and lab coat
$9.50 minimum, based on experience/ background