Coffee House Coordinator for Campus Activities Board
Position Title: Coffee House Committee Coordinator
Time of Appointment: August 19, 2019
Unit Location: Student Involvement, Union 350
Reports to: Student Services Coordinator – CAB Advisor
CAB Mission Statement
“We promote premiere programming that unites the students with a sense of community while enriching the UW-Milwaukee experience”.
Coffee House Committee Description
Coffee House Committee hosts smaller, more intimate programs designed for students to make connections with one another in a low-key atmosphere (similar to what you would experience at a coffee house) .These programs can include music, comedy, spoken word, take-and-make, and open-mic performances that will create a relaxing environments for students to engage in a variety of entertainment.
Coffee House Coordinator Position Description
The Coffeehouse Coordinator will execute the duties of talent scouting for local artists (university and community), as well as plan and program events in collaboration with the 8th Note Activities Board and Gasthaus. The Coffee House Committee is expected to work closely with Event Services to schedule dates and times for events throughout the semester and pre-plan Coffee House events for the school year.
Coffee House Coordinator Responsibilities
- Spearhead the planning process for Coffee House Committee events (including the pre-planning, implementation and post-event assessment).
- Recruit, coach, mentor and delegate responsibilities to committee members.
- Develop goals and responsibilities within the Coffee House Committee for the individual members as needed (budget manager, artist research, marketing, etc.).
- Plan monthly meetings for the Coffee House Committee aimed at brainstorming program ideas, planning events and developing marketing campaigns.
- Motivate committee members to be active, attend events/meetings and plan programs for the UWM campus.
- Research local/regional artist availability and work with the campus and community partners to identify potential performers (including UWM students).
- Inquire about details (availability and pricing) on performance contracts with agents/artists. Work with advisor(s) to complete contracts.
- Will be the collaborative partner for Earth Week in Student Involvement.
- Hold 6-10 office hours per week (office hours will include attending events and meetings). Office hours should be scheduled between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on weekdays. Hours are flexible based on evening/weekend programming needs.
- Serve as a leader and a positive role model to CAB general members, fellow staff members and the UWM community.
- Ensure contracts/invoices with speakers/performers/vendors conform to the university policies and procedures.
- Attend and prepare updates for the weekly CAB staff meetings.
- Attend and prepare updates for the bi-weekly CAB general membership meetings.
- Attend a weekly 1:1 meeting with direct supervisor.
- Collaborate and co-program with other CAB committees when applicable.
- Develop partnerships with other UWM student organizations and departments.
- Seek and develop corporate sponsorship for appropriate events/programs.
- Assist with “all-hands-on-deck” events.
- Attend CAB trainings/retreats.
- Attend professional development conference(s) as requested.
- Attend training sessions throughout the academic year for Student Union student employees.
- Abide by the UWM Student Code of Conduct.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.25 and be enrolled half-time as a fee-paying student (6 credit hours) to maintain eligibility.
- Participate in performance evaluations conducted by the CAB Advisors.
- On-going professional development and mentoring opportunities are required.
- 6-10 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- The hourly rate of pay is $8.50 per hour.
- On-going professional development and mentoring opportunities provided.