Student Communications & Outreach Assistant
Position Overview: Our mission is to support a collaborative approach to recruitment, enrollment, and retention through the highest levels of service, accurate communication, and intentional engagement with students and their families as we welcome them to the UWM community.
We therefore strive for excellence in the following areas, and will:
- Provide excellent and welcoming customer service and make each student and their family members feel valued and understood
- Provide resources and timely follow-up as needed by working collaboratively with other staff across campus
- Convey accurate and up-to-date information with a holistic approach to assisting each individual by answering all questions and meeting their needs
- Increase awareness of all that UWM and the Milwaukee community have to offer to students and their families by acting as ambassadors of the university
- Minimize barriers to ensure the opportunity for students to pursue higher education by making their transition to UWM fast, easy, and exciting
- Support a better connection between new students and the UWM campus community by making each conversation worthwhile, meaningful and successful
The Student Communications & Outreach Assistant position is dual-functioning. The two primary functional areas are:
- Answering incoming phone calls on behalf of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, and the New Student Orientation/Admitted Student offices.
The Call Center is seeking a self-motivated, organized, and energetic individual with superior customer service skills. We desire to employ individuals who are eager to learn and engage with the larger campus community, who take ownership of problem-solving on behalf of students and families, and who are adaptable and flexible to new directives, procedures and policies.
- Must be a current, full-time UWM student
- Must attend all mandatory training dates – Employment is contingent upon successful completion of September training (dates listed on first page).
- Must be able to commit to AT LEAST 10 hours per week and be flexible with scheduling week to week
- Evidence of exemplary customer service skills in person, over the phone, and through email correspondence
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.), Google Docs, and social media platforms; experience with campus database software is a plus (PAWS administration, Hobsons, ImageNow)
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, and communication skills
- Previous or current employment within another UWM campus office or service area (e.g., demonstrated UWM campus knowledge)
- Previous experience in a call center environment preferred