Peer Tutor - Lake to Lake
Lakeshore Technical College – Cleveland, Wisconsin
The Lake to Lake Peer Tutor provides 1:1 tutoring as arranged through the Peer Tutor coordinator, assist in a lab setting, in the Academic Support Center, and/or study group facilitation which could be face-to-face or virtual. Peer tutors facilitate student learning by helping to clarify specific course content and promote the use of appropriate study strategies. Tutors conduct regularly scheduled one-on-one and group tutoring sessions throughout the semester, as needed and arranged by the Peer Tutor Coordinator. Peer Tutors do not provide answers to homework assignments, but work with students to model problem solving strategies and explain course-specific concepts in compliance with academic integrity standards.
- Adequately prepare for sessions.
- Be a good listener.
- Two to twelve hours per week, according to your schedule and the need for services.
- Ensure that the needs of the student being tutored are met, assist with organization, study skills and tools.
- Be punctual for sessions, patient and able to explain things simply and set goals and objectives for each lesson.
- Study group facilitation provides direction and sessions.
- Prefer Lakeland University current student or graduate of LTC with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and a preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Background in Web Development 1, Introduction to Database Design & Development, Adobe Illustration, Adobe Photoshop, Introduction to IT, and/or Networking 1 preferred.
- Knowledge of the scope and nature of programs and courses offered by the college.
- Good understanding of the local community. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to conduct virtual appointments via MS Teams, BlueJeans, etc.
- Excellent customer service. Excellent communication skills and teamwork skills.
- Telephone etiquette. Ability to take responsibility for follow through.
- Attention to detail.
- Exemplify college values in all staff and student interactions, as well as services delivered.
- Ability to relate successfully with students and staff of diverse cultural, social or educational backgrounds.
- Fluent, bilingual individual is beneficial.
Condition of Employment:
- Employment conditional on completion of a Background Information Disclosure (BID) with the results acceptable to the College.